- safety safe‧ty [ˈseɪfti] noun [uncountable]1. the state of being safe from danger or harm:
• The company seemed totally unconcerned about the safety of its workers.2. the state of not being dangerous or likely to cause harm or injury:
• Some businesses are failing to meet basic food safety standards.
• Experts say that after the introduction of safety measures, the plant is among the safest.3. safety equipment is designed to prevent injury or damage:
• Workers using power tools must wear the proper safety equipment.
• The new model has improved crash resistance and othersafety features.
* * *safety UK US /ˈseɪfti/ noun [U]► the state of being protected from danger or harm: »
You have a right to be protected against anything that can affect your safety.»
public/passenger/consumer safety► the condition of not being likely to cause damage or harm: the safety of sth »
Many people are wondering about the safety of some food imports.»
Apart from this one incident, the company has an excellent safety record.► used before a noun to describe equipment, rules, etc. that are designed to keep people from being harmed: »
The company is now a world leader in car safety seats.»
The iron's best safety feature is that it shuts off automatically.»
The building is not compliant with the new safety standards.»
The law requires a certificate showing that the latest safety tests have been carried out.»
safety procedures.● air/workplace/mine, etc. safety — Cf. workplace/mine safety
Financial and business terms. 2012.